The whole idea behind social media is to connect people, and tagging is one of the best ways to make the platform a more collective experience. Whenever you tag someone on the platform, it usually leads to the person getting a notification and starting a conversation with you. The same applies when you’re a brand.
Here’s everything you need to know about tagging someone on Instagram stories and anywhere else on the platform.
How to Tag Someone on Instagram
Like everything else on Instagram, tagging profiles is also pretty easy to do. We will cover how you can tag someone on an Instagram post and in an Instagram story in the following two points.
How to Tag Someone on a New Instagram Post
When you tag someone in a photo/post, it will appear in the “Photos and videos of you” section of his or her profile, and he or she will get a notification. To do it, simply
- Open your Instagram app.
- Create a new post by tapping the plus symbol at the top left corner.
- Select the photo you want to publish and edit it.
- Once you’re done editing, write a quick caption with a few hashtags.
- Before you post, tap the “Tag people” button and type the username of the person/brand you want to tag.
- Return to the previous screen and select “Share.”
You’re done – the photo is posted and the account is tagged.
How to Tag Someone on An Already Existing Instagram Post
If you want to tag an account on a post that’s already in your profile, then just do the following:
- Find the post in your profile.
- Open it and select the three dots next to your username.
- Choose “Edit”.
- Now you have the option to tag other people or change the caption.
- Tag the desired account.
- Tap on “Done”, and you’re good to go.
How to Tag Someone on an Instagram Story
Unlike with posts, if you forget to tag someone in your Instagram story, you can’t go back and tag them. There’s no editing once you’ve posted the story, so make sure everyone you want to tag is in the post before sharing.
That being said, let’s take a look at the steps you have to take in order to tag someone on Instagram stories:
- Select the plus sign at the top of your screen, select story, or just swipe left.
- Take a photo or a video or upload one that already exists in your camera roll.
- Choose the “Aa” icon at the top of the screen.
- Begin typing “@” and then the username of the account you want to tag.
- Once you find it, click done, and you’re ready.
Now all that’s left is to edit the photo, add a few stickers and some music and then post it.
That’s it – all the basic instructions on how to tag someone on Instagram stories and in posts. However, if you want to expand your knowledge on Instagram marketing, come and check out the Camberlion blog. Oh, and follow us for more quick marketing tips on social media.