No matter whether you’re a social media influencer or a brand trying to build its social following, at one point or another you will want to be more visible online. Platforms like TikTok and Instagram are a great way to connect with large audiences, build trust and loyalty with viewers and engage them with fun, informational content. That being said, once you have a certain following on social media, you may want to direct those people to your other domains, such as your website. How can you do that?
Well, both Instagram and TikTok have a character limit for your bio, which essentially means that you cannot link all your other social media profiles and your website there; however, there is a solution for this issue, and it’s called Linktree.
What is Linktree Used For?
Linktree is a tool that creates a landing page where you can put multiple links to different social media pages, websites, and blogs. It works great as a place where all the important links related to your business can be found and it’s all in a short link that can fit the bio character limit of any social media platform.
There are two versions of Linktree available as of now: one completely free to use and one that requires you to pay for a monthly subscription. With the free version, you get all the basics – you can link to as many pages as you need and you get some simple customizations and analytics. The premium version, on the other hand, offers a lot more functionalities such as advanced analytics and better customization options.
Why Use Linktree?
Even though Linktree may seem like a simple, almost basic tool, in reality, it changed the marketing game on social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok. Here are some of the most notable benefits of using Linktree:
- Allows you to create and customize a personal landing page – Linktree basically creates a landing page that contains all your links and allows your followers to access other platforms that you’re on. This can be very useful for people that aren’t that tech-savvy and have no experience in building landing pages.
- Easy to use – Linktree doesn’t require any coding or any advanced tech knowledge; the whole setup process takes less than 20 minutes.
- You can add as many links as you want – Even the free version of Linktree allows you to link as many pages as you need.
- Provides basic analytics data – The free version shows how many people checked out your link and their click-through rate.
- Nice aesthetic – Linktree allows customization so your landing page can fit the aesthetic of your brand.
- Great for cross-platform promotion – Thanks to Linktree, you get an easy way to guide your followers on Instagram to your TikTok profile or LinkedIn account; that way, you get a large audience on all social media platforms that you decide to use.
How to Make a Link Tree Using Linktr.ee (Account Setup, Profile Adjustment, Linktree Login and More)
Now that we’ve discussed why having a Linktree is a good idea for any social media profile that wants to make the most out of its following, let’s check out the Linktree signup process with the most popular platform for the task: Linktr.ee.
Step:1 Create an account
This is pretty straightforward. Simply go to https://linktr.ee/register and fill in the required information.
Once you fill in the required information, you will get redirected to another page, where you have to enter your name and the industry your account is dedicated to.
Many people ask me, “Is Linktree free?” Well, here is the moment where you can choose one of the two plans: Free or Pro.
After you’ve completed the form, you will get a verification e-mail; follow the instructions that come with it.
Step 2: Start adding your links
Once your account has been verified, you will get access to your dashboard. Adding a new link is pretty easy.
You just have to click on the purple “Add New Link” button on the screen to add your first link.
You will get redirected to a new page, where you can add a title, URL and an icon or thumbnail.
For the icon, you have the option to either upload your own image or to choose one of the options that Linktree provides you with.
Once you input all the required info, you’ve created your first link. That’s it.
As you start to add more and more links, you will see a preview of your Linktree on the right side of your screen
Step 3: Organize Your Links
If you want to organize your links to look more aesthetically pleasing and provide more value to your followers, Linktr.ee offers you a way to do that as well.
Simply click on the black “Explore Links” icon next to the “Add New Link” button to add special links or headers. By taking advantage of headers, you will be able to organize your links in any way you want to – by theme or by purpose.
Whenever you want, you can move around the links and headers by selecting the three vertical dots and dragging the element to where you want on the page.
Step 4: Take advantage of link options
Once you click on the black “Explore Links” button, you will see six icons that let you link specific websites and access additional settings for each link. An important note here is that many of these features are available only to people subscribed to the “Pro” plan.
Once we take a look at the options, we see they include
- Leap link: This is a Pro function that enables you to forward your viewers directly to one specific link and thus completely bypass the landing page.
- Priority link: With this feature, you can highlight a particular link that you consider the most important one, for example, one that leads to your product or a new blog post.
- Schedule link: This enables you to schedule when your link goes live. It can be very helpful to schedule your content in advance as it allows you to plan ahead and not worry about having to update your Linktree every day/week.
- Gate this link: This allows you to protect users from entering a link that might not be suitable for them. It will require users to put in a code such as their e-mail address or date of birth.
- Form link: With this one, you can collect information from users.
- Support me link: This is suitable for times where you collect donations, as it accepts tips and payments from visitors.
- Request link: This allows you to receive requests and payments from link visitors.
Along with that you have more standard options that allow you to link music, videos and a store to your Linktree.
Step 5: Customize the look of your Linktree
Once you get all the links ready, you can customize your Linktree to fit the aesthetic of your profile.
First, go to the Appearance tab at the very top of the menu.
Here you can add a profile image and a short description to your Linktree. Along with that, you can choose a theme for your Linktree. There are several free options available and if you’re subscribed to the Pro plan, you can create your custom theme.
Once that’s done, the only thing left is to add your Linktree link to all your social media profiles. Let’s check out how you can do that on the two most popular social media platforms: Instagram and TikTok.
If you want to make any changes to your Linktree at any time, just use the Linktree login page to get back to your account, and you will be able to do whatever customizations are necessary.
How to Add Linktree to TikTok Bio
Adding your Linktree link to your TikTok bio is pretty simple. The only steps you have to take are to go to your account on Linktree login and then go to your account on the platform, select “Edit Your Profile,” and then alter your bio from there. (TikTok has not rolled out this option to all accounts, if you dont see the option to add a link, check back as TikTok published updates).
The exact same process applies to Instagram. You go to your own page on Linktree login, get your link, and then the only thing left to do is go to Instagram and alter your profile’s bio by pasting the new link. Voila – you’re done.
Benefits of Creating Your Own Linktree
Creating a landing page using an app like Linktree is easy and convenient; however, it does come at a particular expense – that of your branding and SEO. So, if you want to get all of the benefits that having a Linktree brings without making any compromises, then you should know there’s a way to create a Linktree page for your website. While that may take more effort and time to get set up, it has some benefits that vastly outweigh the cons. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why creating your own Linktree may be a better option long-term:
- It brings traffic to your website – When you use a third-party app, all of that traffic that you generate goes through an intermediary before (if ever) reaching your website. However, each click brings direct traffic to your page when you start using your website.
- You have complete control over branding – All apps claim to give you a limitless amount of themes and designs; however, if you create your own landing page, you truly have all the choices in the world – the font, colors, and logo placement all depend on your branding guidelines.
- You’re using your own URL – When using Linktree, you will see that all URLs look the same. By having a custom landing page, the URL reflects your brand’s name to your audience, and they will know it immediately.
- No fees – If you want to use the full power and features of Linktree, you will have to go for the paid monthly subscription. By using your own landing page, all of that money can go towards something else.
How to Make Your Own Linktree
In order to start creating your own Linktree-like page, you have to first log on to your website. From there, here are the steps that you have to follow.
Step 1: Add a new page
The first thing you have to do is create a new page on your website. It’s essential that you remember to alter the website slug so that it reflects the purpose. If you don’t know what slug is, it’s essentially the part of the URL that appears right next to the domain name (www. my website/this-is-the-slug). Here, a good slug would be /links or /Linktree. Along with that, don’t forget to keep the slug short, as it’s supposed to fit your bio and leave enough space for more details.
Step 2: Create link buttons
Simply using regular hyperlinks isn’t really aesthetically pleasing and so link buttons offer a way more attractive way to present your links. You can re-make the link buttons to look similar to the ones on Linktree, or alternatively, you can go for using Gutenberg blocks to add a button quickly. Then you can customize almost everything about the controls so that their colors and text fit your brand’s style.
Creating a button is fairly simple. You have to click the “Add Block” option on the menu panel and search for the term “Buttons.”
From there you can create as many buttons as you need. It’s a good idea to give them interesting titles such as “Visit my website”, “Follow me on TikTok”, etc., to give a more unique feel to your landing page. Along with that you can alter the text and block color and design. After that, the only thing that’s left is to link each button to its destination. Doing that is also simple: you just select the button of choice and click on the hyperlink button. This will show you an additional field where you can put in the destination URL. That’s it – you’ve just created your very first button.
It’s cool to be able to add as many buttons as you need; however, it’s not a good idea to give your audience too many options. A best practice is to keep your Linktree short and sweet, with only your most valuable links.
Step 3: Do customizations
Once the buttons are done, it’s time to add your branding to other parts of the link page. Here, you can rightfully say that the sky’s the limit, as you can do whatever you like; however, we’d still advise you to keep things simple and on-brand. Just make sure that the style fits your aesthetics and that you add all the important elements such as the logo, welcome text, and contact information.
Step 4: Go live
Now that you have the design and the links ready, you can go live. The only thing that’s left is to copy the URL of your newly created links page and place it in your bios on the different social media platforms.
As already mentioned, having a Linktree is a great way to merge your audiences. It’s a convenient way to let your followers know where they can find more of your content/product in a quick and efficient manner.
Linktree is an app that can provide a lot of value for any influencer or brand, especially for people who are not very tech-savvy and want to get things done in the fastest way possible. That being said, there’s still a lot of additional value to be gained if you opt for creating your own version of a Linktree page. It will give you all the same functionalities and more, with the added bonus of not having to spend extra money on it and being more customizable. Along with that, when the Linktree is directly on your website, it helps generate more traffic and brand awareness, as it’s tightly connected to your brand.